Scammers are making calls posing as someone from the Social Security Administration and telling people that their Social Security Number or Benefits will be suspended. The goal of this scam is to convince people to send money, often in the form of gift cards.
What to do:
- Hang up – do not answer any questions or follow any button prompts
- Tell your friends/family – this is a common scam seen nationwide
- Report the call to the FTC: www.ftc.gov/complaint
- The Social Security Administration will never call to threaten benefits
- The Social Security Administration will never ask you to send money in any form
- No government agency or legitimate business would ever ask for payment via gift card