It’s a joyful time of year and we all know how easy it can be to get swept up in the festivities, but holiday spending can significantly impact your finances.
Here’s five tips to help you navigate the holiday season without depleting your savings:
- Set a budget early. Before you start shopping, make a list with spending limits for each person. Remember to budget for other seasonal items, like decorations and cards. Hold yourself accountable. Our Personal Finance tool in Online Banking and the GSB Mobile App is a great way to help keep track.
- Set expectations with friends and family. Everyone is in a different place financially. Be honest and upfront about what’s realistic for you.
- Propose a gift swap with a price limit. Buy for one person, instead of a group, and make a fun party activity out of it.
- Give something homemade. Skip the store and DIY. It’s the thought that counts, right? Use Pinterest for personalized do-it-yourself ideas.
- Plan an affordable experience, instead of buying an expensive gift. Give the gift of spending time together.
The holidays are about celebrating with the people you love. Focus on the meaning behind your gifts, not the price tag. Come January, you’ll be glad you did.
Have questions or need help creating a budget? Lesley Warn, Financial Wellness Coach is available to chat about all things money management. Get in touch with Lesley.